Minnesotan Hospitalized After Eating Tainted Lettuce
St Paul, MN (KROC-AM News) - At least one Minnesotan has been sickened after eating romaine lettuce that has been linked to a national E. coli outbreak.
The Minnesota Department of Health made the announcement Friday and is warning consumers “ not to eat romaine lettuce from Salinas region of California.”
The department says the Minnesotan who was sickened “developed hemolytic uremic syndrome and is hospitalized.”
The department says 40 cases from 16 states had been confirmed as of Nov 19 but “additional cases are under investigation.” Of the forty cases, 28 required hospitalization and five developed HUS, a potentially fatal complication that can include kidney failure and other severe problems. The department says it is investigating additional suspected cases.
Ten cases have been confirmed in Wisconsin so far, the most in one state.
Health officials warn people not to eat, buy, or sell romaine lettuce from the Salinas growing region. Check your refrigerator for romaine lettuce that may have been grown in the Salinas region. If you have it, throw it out. Most romaine products are labeled with a harvest location, but if you don’t know where the romaine lettuce was grown, don’t eat or buy it.
Information on the national outbreak can be found here.