Rochester Firefighters Respond to Sunday Night Cooking Fire
Rochester, MN (KROC AM News) - Rochester fire crews were called out late Sunday night to deal with a cooking-related blaze.
The fire in the kitchen of an apartment at 1148 5th Ave SE was out when the crews arrived but they assisted in ventilating the residence. Light smoke was also found in the upper floor apartment. All occupants were able to return.Firefighters also helped the occupants look for their two missing cats but only found one of them.
The Fire Dept. says the stove, range hood and a cabinet were damaged by the fire. Smoke damage was limited mostly to the kitchen area. The preliminary damage estimate was put at $4,000. The fire was caused by a pan of oil on the stove.
The department says the residents were successful in extinguishing the fire using water. Generally, it is not recommended to use water to extinguish oil or grease fires as the water can make the conditions worse by spreading the oil and grease to other surfaces.
Are you ready for a blast of cold weather? It's coming! Check here for more.
With updates at the top and bottom of the hour 24 hours a day, Tune in to News-Talk 1340 KROC-AM for the latest local and national news.