KROC-AM logo
Get our free mobile app

Minneapolis, MN (KROC-AM News) - The third of the four men charged with participating in the destruction of the Minneapolis Police Department's Third Precinct has been sentenced to 3 years in federal prison.

25-year-old Davon Turner was also ordered to share in paying $12 million in restitution. He pleaded guilty in January to a single count of conspiracy to commit arson.

Hennepin County Sheriff's Office photo
Hennepin County Sheriff's Office photo

According to federal court documents, the St. Paul man worked with another man to light an incendiary device used to start or accelerate the fires that destroyed the police building the night of May 28th last year. Turner was also accused of bringing the molotov cocktail to the site of the riots outside the precinct that followed the death of George Floyd.

“Mr. Turner’s actions on the night of May 28, 2020 contributed to the near total destruction of the Minneapolis Police Department’s Third Precinct building,” said Acting U.S. Attorney Anders Folk. “Those actions were dangerous to community, to law enforcement, and to the many peaceful protestors exercising their first amendment rights. Today’s sentence underscores the seriousness of those actions.”

The final defendant in the case, Bryce Michael Williams, is scheduled to be sentenced on June 7th. The two other men who admitted to federal charges of conspiracy to commit arson were given sentences of 48 and 41 months in prison, along with liability for the $12 million in restitution.

News Update:  Federal Charges Filed Against St. Cloud Bank Robbery Suspect

Timeline: George Floyd's Death, Protests, Riots, Arrests, Chauvin Trial

It was late afternoon on Memorial Day, 2020 and many Minnesotans had observed the normally active weekend hunkered down because of the growing pandemic.

George Floyd drove to a grocery store in Minneapolis and bought some cigarettes. He was accused by employees of making the purchase with a counterfeit $20 bill and police were called. Floyd was still there in his vehicle when two officers arrived. About 10 minutes later, Chauvin and another officer showed up and the situation began to escalate. Chauvin began kneeling on Floyd's neck as he was facedown on the street. Despite repeated pleas from Floyd and a growing crowd of bystanders to remove his knee, Chauvin continued as if frozen in position with no facial expression. 

After more than 8 minutes, Chauvin finally stood up and Floyd had become unresponsive. An ambulance was called and a short while later, it was reported Floyd was dead.

A video of the incident slowly spread on social media around the state, the country and the world. Viewers literally watched a man slowly die, repeating "I can't breathe." 

The now historic response began the following day.


More From KROC-AM