11 Things Only People From Rochester Know About
I might be a "newbie" still, but I think I'm starting to get the hang of life in Rochester.
If you don't know already, I'm Val. Hi. I moved to Rochester in July of 2016 (yep - for the job), and have honestly enjoyed living here since!
I'm finding it funny that Rochester has quirks that are truly it's own, so I decided to put a list of eleven things only people from Rochester know. Feel free to correct me, or add to this list! Here's what I came up with...
- The term "honkers" can mean one of two things. You could be talking about our baseball team or those territorial Canadian invaders on Silver Lake.
- We double our chains. Interested in going to Walmart, Shopko or Target? You'll need to identify if you're trying to go to the "north" or "south" location. There's seriously a "north" or "south" version of everything.
- That snowstorm in May. Yep, it snowed in MAY. Remember May 2nd, 2013? 18 inches of soggy/wet pieces of nasty that had no business being on the ground in May.
- The biggest party of the summer. It's Rochesterfest, duh.
- Mr. Pizza South is not to be messed with. Sure, we love BOTH Mr. Pizza locations in Rochester but don't hate on the original south one.
- The best Minnesota Viking is Marcus Sherels. He's a hometown boy, and we love him!
- Those food trucks tho. Take your pick! We've got em' spread around town. Twisted Barrel, Old Abe, etc.
- Crowmaggedon. Every fall. Enjoy the horror move-esque sight early morning, and cover your head!
- Shakey's Pizza. RIP.
- Galleria Cinemas. Gone too soon. It was a great family theatre!
- Cruising Broadway for fun. We did it as kids!
How'd I do? Am I missing any other essential Rochester quirk or memory?
Listen to Val afternoons from 2p to 6p on Quick Country 96.5.
Listen to Val from 10a to 2p on 107.7 Z-Rock.