600 Rooms Checked Due to CO Leak at Kahler Grand in Rochester
Rochester, MN (KROC-AM News) - Rochester firefighters and the staff at the Kahler Grand Hotel checked and ventilated nearly all of the hotel rooms in the downtown Rochester lodging establishment due to a carbon monoxide leak Saturday afternoon.
The Rochester Fire Department reported that its crews responded to the hotel next to the Mayo Clinic around 2:30 PM to investigate a reported natural gas leak. Guests on several floors in the hotel reported smelling the odor of natural gas.
The evacuation of the hotel was ordered after atmospheric monitors operated by the firefighters detected carbon monoxide. The guests were told to gather in the lobby which had been deemed safe.
The Rochester Fire Department and then worked with the maintenance staff at the hotel to identify the source of the carbon monoxide. That source was not identified in the Rochester Fire Department news release.
After the fire crews monitored the hundreds of hotel rooms and public areas of the hotel, it was determined that it was safe for guests and staff to reoccupy the building.
No injuries were reported.