Rochester, MN (KROC-AM News) - Improperly disposed of ashes from a recreational fire are blamed for starting a fire that wiped out a detached garage at a southeast Rochester residence.

The Rochester Fire Department says firefighters, responding to a call from a passerby, were sent to a home at 1601 8 ½ Street Southeast shortly after 2 p.m. and discovered the detached garage was fully engulfed in flames. The fire was quickly extinguished and the home was ventilated to remove any smoke from the blaze, which also melted some of the vinyl siding on the house.

Investigators were able to determine that ashes from a fire pit had been placed in a plastic garbage container next to the garage. The ashes apparently not completely cooled and ignited a fire that spread to the structure. The loss was estimated at $25,000.

More From KROC-AM