Space Heater Causes Fire at Rochester Boarding House
Rochester, MN (KROC News) - A space heater is being blamed for a residential fire in Rochester Tuesday night.
Rochester Fire Dept.crews were called to 827 W. Center St. at 8:30 PM and arrived to discover the general fire alarm was sounding and there was smoke on the third floor of the boarding house. They learned an occupant had already used a fire extinguisher to put out the flames.
The Fire Dept. says damage was limited to extensive clean-up of dry chemical residue from the extinguisher and some melted wood floor finish.
RFD says the incident “highlights the hazards that space heaters present during the winter months and the importance of never leaving them in use when unattended or when you go to sleep.”