Bloomington, MN (KROC-AM News) - The family of the little boy who was thrown off a balcony in the Mall of America earlier this month says the 5-year-old is no longer in critical condition.

Twin Cities attorney Stephen Tillitt issued a statement on behalf of the family that indicates the child is now "alert and conscious". The family also stated that while he will require a long rehabilitation and additional surgeries, it is hoped he might able to return home by the end of next month.

On Easter Sunday, a pastor at the family's church told of the congregation an MRI scan did not find any sign of brain damage in the child, but at that point, he was still being cared for in an intensive care unit.

A fundraiser to help the family with their mounting medical bills and other expenses related to his injuries has brought in close to a million dollars. As of Friday afternoon, the Go Fund Me site lists the donation total as $997,000.

The man who committed the crime, 24-year-old Emmanuel Aranda, remains in the Hennepin County Jail and faces a charge of first-degree attempted murder.

News update: Man Facing Attempted Murder Charges in Rochester Drive-by