KROC-AM logo
Get our free mobile app

Lino Lakes, MN (KROC-AM News) - County, city, and tribal governments in Minnesota will be receiving a share of $300 million in state funding next week to help address public safety needs.

Governor Tim Walz made the announcement Thursday at a suburban Twin Cities fire station. "This funding will allow public safety officials to invest in the things that matter most to their communities, whether that’s officer recruitment and retention, a new ambulance, or fire and rescue equipment,” said Governor Walz. “I want to give a special thank you to Minnesota’s law enforcement and public safety officials this holiday season, who never take a day off from keeping their residents safe.”

The governor says the local governments will be able to use the funds for a wide range of needs, including recruiting and retaining officers, and training programs. The list also includes crime prevention programs, community engagement, mental health crisis responses, victim services, first responder wellness, and equipment purchases.

Getty Images/iStockphoto

30% of the funding will be directed to counties and tribal governments, while the remaining 70% will be sent to Minnesota cities and towns with at least 10,000 residents. The one-time appropriations were authorized by the 2023 State Legislature and the aid amounts were calculated based on population.

More Minnesota News:

19 Items Absolutely Banned from Checked Bags at the Boise Airport

You may be familiar with what you can and cannot pack in your carry-on. But how familiar with items banned from your checked luggage? These are 19 of the more than 50 items that can't fly in your checked bag according to the TSA.

Gallery Credit: Michelle Heart

More From KROC-AM