First Responders Work on Stewartville OD Victim for 15 Minutes
Stewartville, MN (KROC AM News) - A Stewartville man may want to add a few names to his Christmas card list this year.
First responders called to his home Thursday night worked on him for 15 minutes to save him from a fatal overdose of heroin.
Olmsted County Sheriff’s Office Sgt. Kirby Long says the wife of the 46-year-old man found him unresponsive in the kitchen with a hypodermic needle near his arm around 9:30 PM. She called 911 and was given instructions on how to perform CPR.
Long says a Stewartville firefighter who lives near the couple’s home was the first to get there and took over the CPR effort. An Olmsted County deputy arrived and gave the man a dose of Narcan but he remained unconscious. They continued with CPR until a Gold Cross Ambulance crew arrived and the man was given a second dose of Narcan but he was still unresponsive. They resumed CPR efforts until the man was finally revived.
Long says over his objections, the man was taken to St. Marys Hospital where he underwent more treatment.
He was expected to make a full recovery.