Rochester House Hit By Lightning Bolt
Rochester, MN (KROC AM News) - A Rochester house was hit by lightning early Thursday morning and the bolt woke up the homeowner - which was a good thing because the strike damaged the natural gas service line to the residence.
The Fire Department was called at 12:45 a.m. to the home at 5005 Scenic Oak Drive SW after the owner heard the loud strike and then smelled burned plastic. Nothing was found in the home but an outside inspection found the source - a broken natural gas meter.
It was determined the lightning bolt followed a gutter downspout to the meter and service line and gas was leaking into the basement. The gas supply was shut off and a check of the basement showed conditions were safe. No other leaks were found.
The lightning strike caused $2500 in damage to the siding and soffit of the house.