Suspect in Motel 6 Shooting in Rochester MN Gets Plea Deal
Rochester, MN (KROC-AM News) - A former Kasson man who was scheduled to stand trial this week has entered an Alford plea to a felony count of threats of violence.
33-year-old Tiron Brown was originally charged with two counts each of first-degree attempted murder and second-degree assault along with illegal possession of a firearm and the threats of violence charge. Under the terms of the plea agreement, the attempted murder, felony assault, and weapons charges were dismissed. The Alford plea means he does not admit guilt, but acknowledges there is sufficient evidence to convict him.
Brown was accused of being involved in a shooting on July 17, 2021, at the Motel 6 in northwest Rochester. The police report on the incident indicated a dozen shots were fired into an occupied room and a woman was shot in the back.
Brown was identified as a suspect in the case by a woman who previously had been threatened by him. She told police that a person who was in the room targeted in the shooting told her "that Brown was one of the two shooters firing at him." She also told investigators that Brown had called several hours after the shooting and told her "the next bullet is for you,(expletive).
A couple of months after the shooting at the Motel 6, Brown was sentenced to 27 months in prison for threatening the woman with a gun. He was released on parole last fall and is now living in the Twin Cities.
His sentencing hearing has been scheduled for August 14. The plea deal calls for him to be sentenced to the time he is already served behind bars.
From Stonewall to today: 50+ years of modern LGBTQ+ history