Additional Charges Pending Against Kasson Police Officer
Rochester, MN (KROC-AM News) - The Olmsted County Attorney’s Office has charged a Kasson Police Officer with multiple felony sex abuse charges.
51-year-old Julio Baez-Cisneros is being arraigned this morning on two counts of first-degree and one count of third-degree criminal sexual conduct. County Attorney Mark Ostrem says the charges cover allegations of sexual abuse involving a single victim in Olmsted County over a period of 20-years. Ostrem says investigators have also identified three other alleged victims in Dodge and Rice Counties. At this point, it’s unclear if charges will be filed in each of those counties, or if the allegations will be consolidated with the Olmsted County case.
Olmsted County Sheriff’s Captain Scott Behrns says the Sheriff’s Department was informed of the potential criminal activity by Baez-Cisneros two days after he was found bleeding from self-inflicted gunshot wounds next to a rural Mantorville subdivision on June 2nd. The officer was arrested Tuesday in Winona after investigators were informed he had been released from St. Mary’s Hospital.
Kasson Police Chief Kent Berghuis also appeared at this morning’s news conference in Rochester concerning the charges against the officer. Berghuis says Baez-Cisneros’ suicide attempt involved three gunshots to his upper chest that left him in critical condition for at least week.
He told reporters the allegations were a “shock to me”. The police chief also noted there were no indications that anything was amiss and described Baez-Cisneros as a good officer who was well liked by citizens. Berghuis says Baez-Cisneros is currently on paid administrative leave until the process of terminating his employment can be completed.
Get local and national news on the go. Download our News-Talk 1340 KROC-AM App http://krocam.com/app/ – available on Apple and Android devices.