Fire Forces Evacuation of SW Rochester Apartment Building
Rochester, MN (KROC-AM News) - Two people were assessed for smoke inhalation following a fire at a supportive housing complex in southwest Rochester this morning.
The Rochester Fire Department sent crews to the Mayowood Apartments in the 1000 block of Mayowood Road around 9:10 AM. The arriving firefighters found late smoke in the hallway on the second floor of the building.
A news release says the smoke was traced to an apartment where a small fire was quickly located and extinguished before it could spread to other parts of the building. All of the residents were evacuated and the entire apartment building was ventilated to remove the remaining smoke and potentially toxic fumes.
The extent of the damage has yet to be determined. The Fire Department has also not listed the cause of the fire.
Mayowood Apartments opened in the fall of 2021. It was developed by the Olmsted County Housing and Redevelopment Authority to provide "permanent supportive housing for 30 homeless adults with behavioral issues due to serious and persistent mental health issues."
More Rochester News:
- Rochester Area Catalytic Converter Thief to Pay $24K Restitution
- Minnesota Man Sentenced for Arson at Target Headquarters
- IRS Collects: 2023 Law Leads to Extra Tax Bill for Minnesotans
11 Items That You’re Absolutely Banned From Mailing In Minnesota
Gallery Credit: Jessica Poxson