Kitchen Fire Breaks Out at Rochester, MN Apartment Complex
The Rochester Fire Department (RFD) says crews were dispatched to the Gates of Rochester Apartments at 2015 41st St. Northwest on the report of a structure fire shortly after 2:30 p.m. While in route, crews learned thick, black smoke was coming from the second floor.
The person who called in the fire was trying to alert occupants to evacuate the building. Crews put out a fire on the first floor of the structure and searched the room with the fire along with nearby units to ensure everyone was out.
No civilians or firefighters were injured. Officials say the fire had originated in an apartment kitchen and inflicted significant damage to the oven and kitchen cabinets and caused minor smoke damage throughout the apartment.
The damage cost is estimated at $10,000. Mayo Clinic Ambulance, the Rochester Police Department and Minnesota Energy also responded to the fire.
The RFD says kitchen fires are by far the leading cause of structure fires in Minnesota. They say most kitchen fires are caused by unattended cooking, combustibles being too close to cooking equipment and cooking equipment being accidentally turned on.