Rochester, MN (KROC-AM News) - The Rochester Fire Department was able to extinguish a fire in a home this morning before it could cause catastrophic damage.

A news release says firefighters were sent to 637 16th Street Southwest around 7 AM after receiving a call from a man who detected a faint smell of smoke inside his house but could not determine where it was coming from. The 1st firefighters to arrive spotted the smoke coming from the exterior eaves of the roofline, which suggested that it was likely coming from the attic.

The statement says a light haze of smoke was found inside the house and when firefighters entered the attic space they discovered an interior roof rafter was smoldering. The electric service to the home was shut off and the fire was quickly put out using a portable water extinguisher.

No one was injured and the damage was limited to the rafter and the section of the attached ceiling. The overall damage was estimated at about $20,000.

News Update: COVID 19 - New Cases Reported in Olmsted County

KROC-AM logo
Enter your number to get our free mobile app



More From KROC-AM