Rochester Modifying Services Ahead of 2nd Round of Major Storm
Rochester, MN (KROC-AM News)- The City of Rochester is temporarily modifying services and facility hours ahead of a second round of a major winter storm that’s predicted to bring significant snowfall to the area and severely impact travel.
The National Weather Service has issued a Winter Storm Warning for the Rochester area that’s set to expire at noon on Thursday. Forecasters are predicting the second round of snow could bring 9-14 inches of additional snowfall to the city.
The Rochester City Council has canceled its Wednesday night study session and meeting. City Hall, the police records window at the Olmsted County Government Center and North Precinct is set to close at noon on Wednesday.
The Rochester Public Library will also close at noon on Wednesday and will not reopen until Friday at the earliest. Rochester Public Transit is telling riders to anticipate significant delays or cancellations during the second round of the snow storm.
City officials are also offering free parking at the Center St. and 3rd St. downtown parking ramps for residents who wish to get their vehicles off the streets. The free parking begins at 5 p.m. on Friday and ends at noon on Sunday.
The city announced Tuesday that parking on downtown streets will be prohibited between midnight and 8 a.m. through Monday, February 27. The parking restrictions are to allow for snow removal from the downtown area.
City officials are encouraging residents needing city services to access them by phone or online. A full list of modifications to city services and buildings is available below:
The following buildings will be closed to in-person public services starting at Noon on Wednesday and all day Thursday:
- City Hall
- Development Services & Infrastructure Center (DSIC)
- Public Works Transit & Operations Center (PWTOC)
- Traffic and Operations Building (TOB)
- Water Reclamation Plant (WRP)
City Council Meetings
- City Council Study Session is cancelled, topic will be reassigned to a new date.
- City Council meeting is cancelled and items will be rescheduled to March 6 scheduled meeting.
Rochester Police Department:
- The Records window at the Government Center will close at Noon on Wednesday.
- The Records window at the North Station will close at Noon on Wednesday.
Rochester Public Library:
- Closing at Noon on Wednesday and closed on Thursday.
- The Bookmobile will not be operating Wednesday or Thursday.
Rochester Public Transit (RPT)
- RPT is preparing for a Level 3 snow event response which is likely to result in significant delays as well as the possibility of trip or route cancellations and the delay or suspension of transit service.
- Transit users are encouraged to use the DoubleMap app for real-time bus information. This tool can help prevent prolonged waits outside in the cold. DoubleMap announcements will provide the latest information for riders delivered right to your smart phone.
- The Center Street and 3rd Street parking ramps will be open and free to those who wish to park starting at 5:00 p.m. on Friday until noon on Sunday.
Rochester Public Utilities (RPU):
- The RPU lobby will remain open on Wednesday. Customers are encouraged to use the phone or virtual tools to conduct their business prior to visiting the front desk in-person.
Parks & Recreation
- Recreation Center: Closing at 3:30pm Wednesday and will reopen at 3:00 p.m. Thursday.
- Graham Arena: Following Rochester Public Schools closures for any high school hockey games and will accommodate Rochester Youth Hockey, if they plan to proceed with games and practices.
- All AccessABLE Rec activities for Wednesday are canceled.
- National Volleyball Center: Closed all day Wednesday.
- Pipsqueaks Indoor Playground: Closed all day Wednesday
- Seasonal Parking Requirements are in effect from 2 am to 3 pm every day November 1 to April 1
- Thursday, February 23 into Friday, February 24: park on the odd side of the street
- Friday, February 24 into Saturday, February 25: park on the even side of the street
- Saturday, February 25 into Sunday, February 26 park on the odd side of the street
- Crews will be plowing and removing snow from downtown business area streets between the hours of 12:00 AM and 8:00 AM on Wednesday, February 22, 2023, through Monday, February 27, 2023. “No Parking” signs with the date and time restrictions have been posted.
Additional updates will be shared as they become available. Community members are encouraged to access any City services they can via phone, web and virtual options to avoid any unnecessary travel.